Danish Amager Stew - Amagergryde
Amager Stew is a traditional farmer's meal that originally comes from Amager Island near Copenhagen. This hearty stew will make for a fantastic meal on cold winter's evening. Consider serving with caramelised potatoes and a beer (øl). Danish "øl" had a place at many a farmer's table.
Serves 4 – preparation time 45 min
- 1 pound ham or smoked saddle of pork
- 1 pound carrots
- 17 fl oz water
- 1 pound new potatoes
- ½ pound shelled peas
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 bundle chopped parsley
- Cut the ham or smoked saddle of pork into small squares.
- Peel the potatoes and carrots and cut them into small squares.
- Shell the peas and discard the pods
- Boil the ham, potatoes and carrots until it’s almost cooked through and then add the peas
- Mix the butter and flour and add to the mixture
- Let it boil for another 5 min.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add the parsley on top of the dish.
LastUpdate: 2015-12-06 22:02:17