Danish Roasted Pigeon - (Stegte Duer)
This is the traditional Danish recipe for Roasted Pigeons. It’s a very good Danish dish if you want to impress your guests, and it’s actually quite easy prepare. While pigeon is not a come meat it is actually quite delicious. It is a red meat that tastes like a mix between duck and chicken. If you are having difficulty finding pigeon, we recommend that you ask a butcher if they can help you find out where to purchase it.
- 4 pigeons
- ⅓ pound sliced Danish bacon
- ⅓ pound Danish butter
- ⅓ pound mushrooms (chopped)
- 3,5 ounces cream 35%
- Salt and Pepper
- *Optional* Gravy browning (coloring)
- Rub the cleaned pigeons inside and out with salt and pepper
- Wrap strips of bacon around the pigeons (tie with cooking string)
- Place pigeons in an ovenproof covered roasting pan with the butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for about 1 hour
- Add mushrooms and cream for the last 10 minutes of the cooking time.
- Add browning (coloring) to the drippings before serving
We recommend you try this recipe with Danish Scalloped Potatoes (Creamed Potatoes).
LastUpdate: 2015-04-21 09:56:35